Prep 5 mins
Cook 4 mins
From the Today show.
- 2 large elongated eggplants
- 1⁄2 bunch whole cleaned basil leaves
- 1⁄4 lb thinly sliced prosciutto
- 1⁄2 lb thinly sliced mozzarella cheese
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper, for seasoning as needed
- Preheat grill to medium heat and cover.
- For rollatina, trim top of eggplant. Cut into 1/4-inch thick lengthwise slices. Brush slices with olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Grill eggplant slices 1 to 2 minutes per side, until eggplant has grill marks and has cooked halfway. Lay eggplant slices on work surface lengthwise away from you. Lay a thin slice of prosciutto lengthwise over eggplant, repeat with mozzarella and then 3 or 4 basil leaves on top of cheese.
- Roll up and keep in place by inserting two skewers on either side, so rolls do not spin around.
- Grill the eggplant rollatinas, until evenly brown on both sides and somewhat crispy, or until mozzarella begins to melt in center of rolls. Place on a platter, remove skewers, brush with extra virgin olive oil and serve.