Recipe by MarieRynr
This way of barbecuing chicken helps to avoid the last minute hassles of long cooking times when entertaining. the chicken is first marinated, then cooked or almost steamed in an aromatic barbecue sauce, and finally, right before serving it is barbecued until the skin becomes crisp and dark brown. This way of cooking helps to keep the bird moist on the inside and golden brown on the outside!
- 3⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄3 cup bottled chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark molasses
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (3 1/2 lb) chicken, cut up
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare the marinade by combining all ingredients for marinade and whisking to combine. Taste for seasoning. Arrange the chicken pieces in a large shallow, non-aluminum pan and pour the marinade evenly over, turning to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours, turning occasionally. Make sure the marinade covers all the chicken.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F/160°C Remove the chicken from the marinade and pour all the marinade into a small saucepan. Place the chicken in a roasting pan large enough to hold it all in a single layer. Cover the pan tightly with foil wrap and bake about 35 minutes, until the juices run clear when a thigh is pierced.
- Remove from the oven and add the juices to the marinade. Place marinade over medium high heat and bring to a boil, boiling for 7 to 10 minutes, or until reduced to a glaze.
- Prepare charcoal grill or gas grill for medium high heat grilling about 3 inches from fire.
- Place the chicken on the grill rack and grill, basting with the glaze, turning once, for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the skin is very crisp and brown.
- You can prepare this recipe right up to the grilling time, up to 6 hours ahead. Refrigerate. Take out of fridge about half an hour before you want to grill it and then proceed as in recipe. The sauce may be refrigerated and then re-heated just before grilling.