Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
After cutting the flapjacks, they go back into the oven and become chewy, crunchy and gooey all at once! Sensational!
- 100 g butter
- 100 g golden caster sugar (can use light brown sugar)
- 6 tablespoons golden syrup (can use half maple syrup)
- 230 g oats (any kind except instant powered oats)
- 2 very ripe chopped bananas (showing black spots but still with white flesh)
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat the oven to 160C/325F.
- Melt the butter over a medium heat in a large pan and add the sugar, syrup and salt.
- Once completely melted and combined and almost foaming add the chopped bananas and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the oats, turn off the heat and mix well.
- Put the mixture into an ovenproof dish lined with clingfilm (this is a chefs trick, don't worry it won't melt).
- Bake for 25 minutes, cut into squares whilst still in the dish and allow to cool until 'set'
- Now set the oven to 140C/275F.
- Carefully turn the flapjacks out of the dish and slice properly.
- Place them individually, directly onto the oven shelf and bake for around 30 minutes to allow them to caramelize and dry out a little. Bake longer for even crunchier and chewier results.
- One of life's dreams come true!