Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I got htis from a magazine. I haven't tried it yet, but I am planning to. I like this b/c it doesn't have mini marshmallows in it and it has all kinds of spices too.
- 6 medium sweet potatoes
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
- 3⁄4 teaspoon orange zest, grated
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 2 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bake potatoes until just softened, about 1 hour.
- Cool 15 minutes.
- Cut a half inch off of tops of potatoes and scoop out pulp leaving shells intact.
- Mash pulp. Set aside 4 shells and toss out the other two.
- In a small skillet, melt butter.
- Add onion, cook until softened about 8 minutes.
- Add brown sugar, zest, salt, cumin, cinnamon, pepper, and allspice.
- Cook until sugar melts about 2-3 minutes.
- Combine onion mixture with mashed sweet potatoes.
- Stir in sour cream and parsely.
- In a seperate bowl, mix egg whites at high speed until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold into sweet potato mixture.
- Spoon back into Potato shells.
- Put on baking sheet and bake until filling is just set and tops begin to brown about 15-20 minutes.
A very interesting combination for sweet potatoes. I think the next time I'll change it up some, without the onion and maybe a little more brown sugar. Worth playing around with. Thanks.