Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This recipe incorporates all the best flavors of a really good steakhouse in one side dish. Grill up a big ribeye, and this meal will win the heart of any meat eater.
- 2 -3 large baking potatoes
- 1⁄4 cup butter, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon spicy mustard
- 1 -2 tablespoon grated horseradish (from a jar)
- 2 -4 tablespoons blue cheese, crumbles
- salt and pepper
- 1 onion, sliced very thinly and caramelized
- Wash, dry, and bake potatoes for at least one hour at 350 degrees. You want the potatoes to be soft all the way through so they will be easy to scrape.
- Meanwhile, combine all remaining ingredients except milk and onions in a large bowl.
- Once potatoes are baked, cut in half lengthwise and scrape the piping hot innards into the bowl of goodness.
- Use a potato masher and enough milk to make a creamy, smooth consistency.
- Fill potato skins with the creamy potato mixture**, dot the top with the remaining 1 TBS butter, and bake for 20 minutes (or until really hot and slightly golden on top).
- Top the potatoes with caramelized onions and serve!
- **At this point, you may freeze the potatoes on a baking sheet, then wrap individually and stack in your freezer. Just remove from freezer and bake at 350 degrees until golden brown (about 45 minutes).
Loved this recipe! I made as instructed (was going to cut it down for just two of us then decided no I want to freeze some). Glad I made the full amount. Everything went together wonderfully! I put just a little less than 2 tablespoons of horseradish and next time I will put the full amount in. But the blue cheese, caramelized onions and everything went together perfectly. Served with Grilled Steak#296189, Spinach Stuffed Tomatoes#457378 and Spinach Stuffed Portabella Caps#453666. We had a great meal. Thank you. Made for Fall Pick-A-Chef 2011. P.S. This is going into my Favorites of 2011.