Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I've made this without the eggs before, and couldn't tell much difference, except in the texture.
- 2 medium acorn squash
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed & well drained
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup soft breadcrumbs
- Halve squash. Remove seeds. Place the halved squash, cut side down, in a 9x13 dish. Cover and bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes, until tender.
- Remove pulp from squash, leaving a 1/4" shell in each half.
- In bowl, combine pulp, spinach, 1/2 of the Parmesan, the eggs, margarine,bacon, onion, salt and pepper.
- Fill shells with this mixture. Mix remaining cheese with breadcrumbs, sprinkle on top of squash.
- Bake at 350, 25-30 minutes.
I am not really a squash lover but this was REALLY good. I followed the recipe exactly. Thanks for sharing.
Absolutely a delighful dish that had me singin'...do wa ditty ditty dum ditty good! Made for 123 Hit Wonders.
Great combination of spinach & squash - I agree that the eggs don't do a lot for the recipe but the color is nice. The bacon and the parmesan are a must! I am glad that I tagged you in the cameraless chef contest