Recipe by MarieRynr
The obvious advantage of twice-baked souffles is that they can be made the day before. These spinach souffles reheat perfectly, with a light texture and excellent flavour.
FOR THE SOUFFLES
- 500 g fresh spinach
- 50 g butter
- 40 g flour
- 300 ml milk
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- grated nutmeg
- 6 eggs
- 300 ml double cream
- 50 g gratead parmesan cheese
You will need extra
- 25 g melted butter
- 2 -3 tablespoons of grated parmesan cheese, to prepare the ramekins
Directions See How It's Made
- Stem the spinach, rinse in cold water and lift straight into a large pan.
- Set over moderate heat, cover, don't add extra water, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until the spinach wilts.
- Drain in a colander, pressing well.
- When spinach has cooled, squeeze firmly to extract excess water and chop finely.
- Heat oven to 350*F.
- Brush 10 small ramekin dishes with melted butter and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Melt the butter for the souffles in a medium pan, stir in the flour and cook over a moderate heat for a few minutes.
- Slowly add the milk, beating to make a smooth sauce.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add seasoning and a good grating of nutmeg, then remove the sauce from the heat and let it cool slightly.
- Separate the egs, reserving the whites and beating the yolks into the sauce.
- Stir in the spinach, mix well then transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks and fold into the spinach mixture.
- Spoon into the ramekins, filling them level.
- Set the dishes in a large roasting tin.
- Add boiling water from the kettle to a depth of about 1 inch.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the souffles are well risen.
- Remove the ramekins from the tin, cool for 10 minutes, then loosen the sides and turn out onto a buttered gratin dish--right sides up.
- The souffles can be set aside overnight.
- If the souffles have been chilled, allow them at least 1 hour to come back to room temperature.
- Heat the oven to 400*F.
- Pour the cream over the souffles, coating each one.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan and place in the oven for 15 minutes or until the sauce is bubbling, then serve.