72 hrs 30 mins
Source: Farm Journal Country Cookbook fourth edition.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Scald milk and cool to lukewarm.
- 2Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- 3Stir in milk, sugar, salt, shortening, and 2 1/2 cup flour.
- 4Beat until smooth.
- 5Stir in remaining flour until it makes a soft dough that leaves the sides of the bowl.
- 6Knead 4 minutes.
- 7Put in greased bowl and turn greased side of dough up; cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours.
- 8Punch down and divide into 24 pieces of equal size.
- 9Shape into rolls.
- 10Place about 3 inches apart on greased baking sheet or in greased muffin tins.
- 11Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 12Bake in a very slow oven (275°F) 20 to 30 minutes.
- 13DO NOT LET ROLLS BROWN.
- 14Remove from baking sheet and cool at room temperature.
- 15Wrap rolls in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and store in refrigerator for several days or in freezer for 2-3 months.
- 16To serve: Brown rolls in hot oven (400°F) 7 to 10 minutes.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Twice-Baked Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (1062 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 403.2
- Calories from Fat 312
- Total Fat 34.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.7 g
- Cholesterol 1.0 mg
- Sodium 222.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 2.7 g