Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
I am always looking for new variations for the humble potato. This one is bright and colourful and tastes good, especially served with grilled chicken. I like the flavour of the mascarpone cheese but if it is hard to find, you could use cream cheese.
- 1 lb potato, suitable for baking (about 4 potatoes)
- 1⁄4 cup rehydrated sun-dried tomato
- 1 tablespoon mascarpone cheese
- 3 tablespoons sun-dried tomato pesto
- salt and pepper, to taste (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F or 180°C.
- Bake the potatoes in the oven for about an hour, until the skins are firm and the centres are soft.
- Meanwhile, finely dice the sundried tomatoes and set aside.
- When the potatoes are cooked, remove from the oven. Halve them lengthways and scoop out the majority of the flesh with a spoon. Be very careful not to tear the skin- leave a quarter inch of flesh still in the skin to provide a firm shell.
- Lightly mash with a fork the flesh that has been removed from the skins. Mix in the mascarpone cheese and sundried tomato pesto and season with salt and pepper if desired. Stir well to mix.
- Add the grated mozzarella and diced sundried tomatoes and stir to mix.
- Scoop the filling back into the potatoes, smoothing the tops.
- Place on a foil-covered baking tray and bake for 10 minutes, until the filling is hot and beginning to turn golden.
- Serve hot!
What a great idea! These were so yummy. I did use about double the amount of sun-dried tomato pesto because we wanted that flavor to be more pronounced. Also, I mutilated the potato shells when scooping out the flesh so I just put the filling into two oven-proof ramekins and baked it that way. A great recipe I will definitely use again. Made for Holiday tag.