Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Easy accompaniment to steak on the grill.
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 8 (6 ounce) russet potatoes, scrubbed
- 5 1⁄2 ounces soft fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- 3⁄4 cup half-and-half
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Rub oil over potatoes. Pierce potatoes in several places with a fork. Place directly on oven rack. Bake until tender, about 45 minutes. Transfer to rack and cool for 10 minutes. Using oven mitts, cut off top 1/4 of each potato. Scoop out potato flesh, leaving 1/2" thick shell. Set shells aside. Mash potatoes until smooth. Mix in cheese, then half and half, butter and chives. Season taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon potato filling into pastry bag with large star tip, or into heavy duty freezer bag with small hole cut in one corner. Squeeze potato filling into each potato shell. Place potatoes on baking sheet.
- Bake potatoes until filing is heat and tops are brown, about 20 minutes.
I originally saw this recipe in Bon AppÃ©tit, November 2001. Thought this looked really good, but sorry I really did not enjoy these. I love goat cheese, but for some reason the taste was a little off for me. If I make these again I will cover them while baking, mine came out a bit dry. Epicurious.com gave this recipe good review, so please donâ€™t let my review detour you from trying this recipe.