Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
These are really good. I always get complements. From Bon Appetit. ZWT West region (Idaho potatoes).
- 4 russet potatoes, cleaned
- vegetable oil
- 1 cup havarti cheese, coarsely grated
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup whole milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- These small potato cups (each one is half a russet potato) are a great choice if you're short on oven space. The potatoes can be baked and stuffed one day ahead and chilled, then warmed in the oven for 20 minutes while the turkey rests before carving.
- Preheat oven to 400°F Pierce potatoes in several places with fork, then brush lightly with oil. Place potatoes directly on oven rack and bake until tender when pierced with fork, about 55 minutes. Cool potatoes slightly.
- Cut off thin slice from both short ends of each potato and discard. Cut each potato crosswise in half; stand each half on its small flat end. Using teaspoon, scoop out cooked potato pulp from each half, leaving 1/3-inch-thick shell and forming potato cup. Place potato cups in 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Place potato pulp in medium bowl; add cheese, sour cream, milk, and cayenne. Using potato masher or fork, mash until well blended and almost smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Mound mashed potato mixture in potato cups.
- Melt butter in heavy medium skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and sauté until tender and deep brown, about 12 minutes. Top potato cups with shallots. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.)
- Preheat oven to 350°F Bake potato cups until heated through, about 20 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Maybe my shallots were a bit too caramelized but they were so yummy. I had leftover in the pan. I ate them all in a minute LOL I used reduced fat cheddar cheese and it was so yummy. I used fat-free sour cream, 2% fat milk. Instead of parsley, I used chives. As you can see, I didn't halve the potatoes. Thanks Lazyme :) Made for Gimme 5 tag game
tasty!! i love the addition of caramelized onions! i should have seasoned the mixture before filling the potatoes because it could have used some s & p! that's my fault tho! i used heavy cream instead of milk. i made this up a day ahead, love make-ahead recipes! and this one is a keeper. thanks so much!!
I made these for ZWT3 and they were absolutely wonderful!!! The only thing I substituted was I used sharp cheddar cheese because I didn't have the havarti cheese. I loved the crisps shallots on top. I will definetly be making these again, but will try with the havarti!!