Top Review by riffraff
I left out the bacon bits (personal preference) but otherwise followed directions. We loved them. I would eat these everyday too but I better not. Leftover the next day it rocked!
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped white onions or 1⁄2 cup yellow onion
- 6 green onions, including the top
- bacon bits or bacon, pieces
- shredded cheddar cheese or colby cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Most of the ingredients are to taste and also depend on the size of the potatoes.
- Bake potatoes as you would normally do (or as a time saver use your microwave oven).
- Allow potatoes to cool enough for handling (or you can do ahead of time however is is easier to scoop them out while warm).
- Cut each potato in half length wise.
- Scoop out most potato from the shell and put it into a large mixing bowl saving shells.
- Add the butter, garlic salt, pepper, 1/2 cup of onion, some of the bacon*, cheese* and green onions* (*youwant to reserve some of these for the garnish on top).
- Add enough milk to allow your mixer to work.
- With your hand mixer, mix all ingredients but allow the mixture to remain somewhat lumpy.
- (If my potato mixture has cooled before mixing, I pop the bowl into the microwave for about 2 minutes so that mixing will be easier).
- Now refill the potato shells with the mixture placing them on a cookie sheet and top with the remaining cheese and then bacon bits or pieces and then green onions.
- Pop into the oven on 350 degrees for about 15 minutes and voila!
- Note: These refrigerate and microwave well for leftovers so I alwasy make plenty.
- If my most PG& SO could have these everyday they would, they are a meal in and of themselves!