Prep 50 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
Great Cheesy Potatoes
Make and share this Twice Baked Potatoes recipe from Food.com.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Scrub potatoes; prick several times with a fork.
- Place in oven; bake 50 to 60 minutes until potatoes feel soft when squeezed.
- Remove and cool 15 minutes; half potatoes length wise (carefully).
- Using a small spoon scoop out pulp into a large bowl, leaving a 1/4 inch thick shell.
- Save the best 8 shells.
- Freeze the remaining shells for French fries or stuffed potato skins.
- Simmer milk and butter until butter melts.
- Pour over potato pulp and mash or beat until almost smooth.
- Add egg, half of cheese,salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Mash until almost smooth.
- Fill shells using about 1/3 cup mixture per shell.
- Sprinkle with chives or green onion, remaining cheese and a little paprika.
- Reduce oven heat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place shells on cookie sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes until puffed and brown.
This is an excellent recipe! A little trick I use is to put the potatoe shells in the oven before stuffing them for a few minutes so they get quite crisp and then fill them and continue as in your recipe. Thanks for reminding me I haven't made these for some time
After reading the other reviewers comments I decided to leave out the egg. I used a Sharp Cheddar cheese and it tasted great! I took Bergy's advice and crisped up the skins a little in the oven before filling them. Great idea!
I really like the texture the egg delivers on these potatoes, they were very light and fluffy. The flavor however, was lacking. I topped the potatoes with bacon and cheddar and it still wasn't enough to redeem them. Next time I will add a strong cheddar to the potatoe mash and hope for better results. A good base recipe.