Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 4 cups prepared mashed potatoes (instant or leftovers -- I use leftovers)
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 dash cayenne pepper, optional
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare potatoes according to package directions and place in a large bowl.
- Melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the green onions and saute until wilted.
- Pour over the potatoes.
- Add the garlic salt, paprika, cayenne, sour cream and 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese.
- Stir well to blend ingredients.
- Taste for seasonings and add more garlic salt or cayenne accordingly.
- Pour into a baking dish that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until cheese is melted and potatoes are heated through.
Boy, what can I say? It's like double-baked potatoes in a dish. I took this to my sister's on Christmas day and it got rave reviews from all. I baked my potatoes first, then mashed in my mixer, so they were still a little chunky, just how I like 'em. I used fat-free sour cream, and I reduced the garlic powder (personal preference.)
This was pretty good. I used instant mashed potatoes, which I hardly ever use unless we're camping. I think next time I'll use real mashed potatoes as I think the instant makes this a little gummy. The flavor is right on though and that's the point, right?
My husband says that i can fix them again. when asked to rate them 1-5 he says they are eatable...so i said okay will say i won't fix again...he says i didn't say that! very nice recipe even tho i have a husband that won't participate with the ratings of 1-5. Thank you.