Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
There's something about a piping hot casserole that resonates warmth and comfort. Try a creative design when you sprinkle on the toppings. Cooking time does not include baking potatoes.
- 8 medium baking potatoes, baked (about 4 pounds)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided (8 ounces)
- 1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh chives
- Peel potatoes, and coarsely mash pulp with a potato masher. Stir in 1 cup Cheddar cheese and next 8 ingredients. Spoon into a lightly greased 13-x9-inch baking dish.
- Bake a 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese, bacon, green onions, and chives.
I loved this casserole! I was thinking about doing twice baked potatoes which I have never made before but decided to go with this because it seemed so much easier. I'm really glad I did because it was very hard to keep the peels in tact. It turned out so tasty. I used it as a side dish for 20 people and everyone seemed to love it. I used an extra cup of cheese in the potatoes and a bit extra on top. I will definitely make this again. Thank you!
This is the type of dish that you pray for leftovers, BUT, there isn't any!!! Wonderful tasting and looking dish. The flavors blend great and very easy to make. This is a great make ahead casserole that you can pop into the oven 30 mins before serving.
Wonderful!!! Made for our Christmas dinner this year instead of twice baked potatoes where you have to fill them after mixing and this was so simple and quick. Thank you for a recipe I will be using again and again.