Recipe by shoppond
This is great for picnics or watching sports on Sunday afternoon. Serve with a simple fruit salad of chopped apple, orange and banana.
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 loaf of round bread (8 inch or 9 inch round)
- 1⁄2 lb cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 lb sliced ham
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and sliced
- sweet basil, as desired
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- melted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cook mushrooms quickly in a skillet in hot butter until slightly soft, about 2-3 minutes.
- Drain in a colander.
- Slice top off bread with a serrated knife and reserve.
- Hollow out inside of loaf, leaving about 1/2" of bread inside the crust.
- Reserve crumbs for another use.
- Cover bottom and sides of hollowed loaf with half the cheese.
- Arrange ham slices over cheese layer on bottom of loaf.
- Top with drained mushrooms, then the tomato slices.
- Season with a little basil, if desired.
- Sprinkle onions over tomato layer.
- Season to taste with pepper.
- Cover with remaining cheese.
- Pack filling down well and fill loaf to overflowing, as there will be some shrinkage during cooking.
- Cover with top of bread.
- Place loaf on a baking sheet.
- Brush surface with melted butter.
- Cover loosely with foil and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Wrap in foil to take to picnic site or simply serve.
- Cut into wedges to serve.