Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
An easy way to serve souffles without the panic!
- 300 ml milk
- 1⁄2 onion, studded with
- 1 clove
- 1 bay leaf
- 40 g butter
- 40 g flour
- 150 g cheddar cheese (any strong cheese) or 150 g Stilton cheese (any strong cheese)
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 3 eggs, separated
- 200 ml cream
- Bring milk,bay leaf and onion to the boil. Turn off heat and allow to infuse.
- Preheat oven to 200c 180 fan Gas mark 6.
- Melt butter, add flour and cook for 1 minute to make a roux.
- Add strained milk gradually stirring well. Return to the heat adding 125 gm cheese and mustard and bring to the boil stirring all the time.
- Season well.
- Beat in egg yolks.
- Whisk whites till stiff and fold into cheese sauce.
- Spoon into 6 ramekins.
- Stand in a baking tin half filled with boiling water and cook in the oven till risen and set - 20 minutes.
- Leave to get cold.
- Turn each souffle out onto an oven proof dish, pour over some of the cream, sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake for 15 mins at 220C ( 200 fan oven).
- Serve immediately.
Sorry - these were flat the first time and even flatter and neavy the next time...........sorry, not as successful as I hoped they would be.