Prep 1 hr
Cook 25 mins
My husband BEGS me to make these constantly! They are so good, my whole family eats them up. There are NEVER any leftovers! Prep time includes baking potatoes the first time. Not the healthiest recipe, so I only make them 4 or 5 times a year.
- 4 large potatoes, rinsed and scrubbed
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- salt and pepper
- chopped fresh chives (optional)
- Bake potatoes in oven until easily pierced with fork.
- (I do not recommend microwaving them, it makes the skin very soft and potatoes will fall apart when stuffing) Cut off, lengthwise, top 1/3 of potatoes.
- Scoop out potato with spoon into a medium mixing bowl, leaving shells intact.
- Add butter, cheese, salt, and pepper to potatoes.
- Blend with a hand-held mixer, adding milk a little bit at a time until mixture is creamy but still pretty thick (you may not need all of the milk, or you may need more, depending on the potatoes used, how long they were baked, etc.).
- Using a spoon, scoop potato mixture back into emptied shells.
- It is ok if the potatoes are stuffed over the top.
- Bake in a 375 oven for 20-25 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and potatoes are brown on top.
- Sprinkle with chives before serving.
I was making meatloaf and wanted potatoes for one of the side dishes. I asked my DDs what kind of potatoes they wanted; one wanted baked, one wanted mashed. So, I decided to have the best of both worlds with twice baked potatoes. I found this recipe and decided to go for it! I was a little short on time, so I did microwave the 4 potatoes for about 10 minutes, then put them in the oven for a few minutes to crisp them up a bit. I also had a tad of sour cream that I threw in, and for the salt I used a dash of garlic salt. Everything else was just the same...Major success!Everyone at the supper table cleaned their plates!!! I will definitely make these again when I want to treat my family! Thanks, Sahara!!! These are a winner! :)
These were great and very simple. Thanks!
Great recipe! We had it with meatloaf. What a great side dish. My tip is that if you what longer for the pototoes to cool is better because the skin is harder. We loved it!! THANKS!!!