Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A favorite sweet potato recipe that is quick to put together (other than the roasting time). It's a GREAT Thanksgiving make-ahead. Plus it's nice to have some side dishes that are prepared for individual servings--they just look pretty that way!
- 2 tablespoons veggie oil
- 3 lbs sweet potatoes (about 6 round, not skinny)
- 1⁄2 cup creme fraiche (or cream cheese)
- 6 tablespoons melted butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons Bourbon
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg, divided
- 1⁄4 cup chopped hazelnuts (or pecans, walnuts...)
- 1⁄4 cup panko breadcrumbs, bread crumbs
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F Oil the sweet potatoes and roast on rimmed baking sheet until very tender, 1 to 1 ½ hours. (You can nook them in the microwave to speed the roasting time!).
- Cool slightly. Cut each potato in half and place the flesh of the top halves in a bowl—it should just fall out of the skin.
- Gently scoop the flesh out of the bottom halves and add it to the bowl, leaving a little around the edges for stability.
- Mix in the crème fraiche, 4 Tbs. butter, syrup, bourbon, 1 teaspoons cinnamon, 3/4 teaspoons nutmeg, 1 teaspoons salt and pepper to taste.
- Using a hand mixer (or immersion blender), puree until smooth.
- Scoop the potato puree back into the bottom halves.
- Mix the remaining 2 Tb. of butter and ¼ teaspoons nutmeg with the panko and chopped nuts. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle the mixture over the tops of the sweet potatoes.
- Bake another 15-20 minutes until warmed through and golden on top!
- * These can be made 2-3 days in advance. If coming out of the fridge, bake 30-40 minutes--until warmed through or cheat and rewarm in the microwave. *smile* I won't tell!