Two meats, two cheeses, and two sauces make this cannelloni doubly good. There's enough in this recipe for a couple of meals too, though I often double it to freeze. I guess it's a real theme with this recipe! In our house it is enjoyed by children and adults alike. You may want to add more pasta sauce, or vary the thickness of the cream sauce - up to your liking. If I can't get nice ground pork at the market, I'll substitute sausages, discarding the casing - a little more flavourful, a little higher fat. It's a real departure for me to not use basil and oregano, but I like the flavour just exactly as is.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 lb ground lean pork or 1/2 lb sausage
- 1 (454 g) container ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 (8 7/8 ounce) package oven ready cannelloni tubes
- 1 (19 ounce) can primo ground tomatoes
- 1 (7 1/2 ounce) can primo pizza sauce
- 1 (680 ml) can primo pasta sauce, divided
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1Filling: Brown garlic in olive oil. Add beef, pork, and 1/2 cup of pasta sauce (from the Tomato Sauce ingredients) and stir to combine. Brown until cooked and allow to cool to a manageable temperature.
- 2Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 3Whisk eggs. Add the eggs, bread crumbs, ricotta, and parmesan cheese to the meat mixture.
- 4Use a piping bag to fill the cannelloni noodles.
- 5Red Sauce: Combine all ingredients and use half to cover the bottom of a baking dish (13 x 9 Corning or glass ware).
- 6Lay filled cannelloni noodles onto the sauce, then cover with remaining sauce.
- 7Cover with foil and bake for 1/2 - 3/4 hour or until bubbly.
- 8Cream Sauce: Make a roux with the butter and flour. Add remaining ingredients and whisk over medium heat until thickened.
- 9Spoon over individual servings of cannelloni and serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Twice As Good Beef & Pork Cannelloni
Serving Size: 1 (297 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 526.7
- Calories from Fat 256
- Total Fat 28.4 g
- Saturated Fat 13.8 g
- Cholesterol 143.2 mg
- Sodium 927.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 9.1 g
- Protein 26.4 g