Recipe by hollyberry
Two meats, two cheeses, and two sauces make this cannelloni doubly good. There's enough in this recipe for a couple of meals too, though I often double it to freeze. I guess it's a real theme with this recipe! In our house it is enjoyed by children and adults alike. You may want to add more pasta sauce, or vary the thickness of the cream sauce - up to your liking. If I can't get nice ground pork at the market, I'll substitute sausages, discarding the casing - a little more flavourful, a little higher fat. It's a real departure for me to not use basil and oregano, but I like the flavour just exactly as is.
Top Review by Potluck
I though this recipe sounded really good when I read it..Now I know..It is spectacular..I used 1 box 8 7/8oz.manicotti shells,cooked 7 minutes,drained,cooled..For the filling I did increase 3/4 lb.sweet italian sausage..For the red sauce I used 1 can 14.5 petite diced tomatoes as I like small chunks a 26oz jar of ragu traditional and 1 tblsp dried parsley..I had to ask my DH for help to fill the shells as I couldnt hold them and pipe in the filling with a ziploc bag with the corner cut off for filling..The filling was very thick..Made 14 manicotti..At this point I froze all but 4 in a ziploc bag..I also froze 2 containers of red and 2 of white sauces of equal amounts for 3 meals and followed recipe for a serving for tonight.This is now one my most favorite italian meals.I served this with spinach four cheese manicotti #72308 and buttered corn #84665 a small salad with italian herb dressing and breadsticks with dipping suace..My DH loved this meal a nice break up.Nothing overwhelming , served one shell of each per serving ..Thank U so much for this wonderful recipe..I will make this often..This recipe makes 14 serving..serving..
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground lean pork or 1⁄2 lb sausage
- 1 (454 g) container ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 (8 7/8 ounce) packageoven ready cannelloni tubes
- 1 (19 ounce) canprimo ground tomatoes
- 1 (7 1/2 ounce) canprimo pizza sauce
- 1 (680 ml) canprimo pasta sauce, divided
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 (6 g) chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 (385 ml) can evaporated milk
- 3⁄4 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Filling: Brown garlic in olive oil. Add beef, pork, and 1/2 cup of pasta sauce (from the Tomato Sauce ingredients) and stir to combine. Brown until cooked and allow to cool to a manageable temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Whisk eggs. Add the eggs, bread crumbs, ricotta, and parmesan cheese to the meat mixture.
- Use a piping bag to fill the cannelloni noodles.
- Red Sauce: Combine all ingredients and use half to cover the bottom of a baking dish (13 x 9 Corning or glass ware).
- Lay filled cannelloni noodles onto the sauce, then cover with remaining sauce.
- Cover with foil and bake for 1/2 - 3/4 hour or until bubbly.
- Cream Sauce: Make a roux with the butter and flour. Add remaining ingredients and whisk over medium heat until thickened.
- Spoon over individual servings of cannelloni and serve.