Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
From the kitchen of Wanda Cupp Thornburg, Moberly MO.
- 1 medium head cabbage, about 3 lbs
- 2 medium onions, sliced thin
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 cup corn salad oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Accent seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup wine vinegar or 1 cup cider vinegar
- Shred cabbage as for slaw. Stir in the sugar. Thin slice onions and separate into rings.
- Place half of cabbage in bottom of flat baking dish. Cover with onion rings. Top with remaining cabbage. Set aside.
- To prepare the dressing, combine all ingredients except oil. Bring to a rolling boil. Stir in salad oil. Bring to rolling boil again.
- Pour slowly and evenly over the cabbage/onion layers. DO NOT STIR.
- Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours before serving. Slaw will be crisp and have no noticable onion flavor.