Prep 30 mins
Cook 24 hrs
A vinegar based coleslaw for when you're not in the mood for a mayonnaise based slaw. It's from a cookbook my mother had, but I just have a copy of the page and I am not sure the name of the book.
- 1 head cabbage, green or purple
- 1 onion
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup salad oil
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Hand grate cabbage, onion and green bell pepper.
- Combine next 5 ingredients together and bring to a boil.
- Pour over cabbage mixture and marinate in refrigerator overnight.
I wanted a lighter dressing than the usual mayonnaise base and found this. my family loved. frankly I am surprised at the amount of calories.