Prep 40 mins
Cook 15 mins
It wouldn't be Thanksgiving at our house without this fruit salad. The directions may sound a little difficult and time consuming -- but they really aren't. This salad is worth every second it takes to prepare it. Cut it in squares and serve it on a bed of shredded lettuce.
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 lb miniature marshmallow
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks
- 1 (15 ounce) can queen anne cherries, if not available i use bing cherries
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges
- 2 bananas, sliced (on the ripe side)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
- Add lemon juice, sugar and butter to beaten eggs in top of double boiler.
- Add marshmallows and stir until marshmallows are melted. Cool.
- Add remaining ingredients except cream and nuts.
- Fold nuts into whipped cream.
- Carefully fold whipped cream mixture into fruit mixture.
- Place in refrigerator at least 12 hours before serving.
- Note: I do not use a double boiler. I find a heavy saucepan or dutch oven works fine as long as the heat is very low and you stir it almost constantly until marshmallows are melted.