Recipe by Debbwl
A nice spiced bread that is not overly sweet and is best served warm with coffee and butter for a not to sweet mood or for a sweeter mood try serving with honey butter or sweetened whipped cream cheese. This is traditional cardamom bread from Red Star that I have tweaked to make it slightly healthier.
Top Review by Annacia
This is really delicious. I used all Splenda granular instead of the blend and made 4 small round loaves. They came out beautiful and oh so tasty. I used 1 loaf (still warm) to make a chicken sandwich with leftover Moroccan chicken. I cut the sandwich in half and DH and I each had a half with a small bowl of lentil soup. Thanks much for posting this Deb.
- 4 -4 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 14 g active dry yeast
- 3⁄4 cup Splenda Sugar Blend for Baking
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 cup Smart Balance Omega Plus
- 1 cup Egg Beaters egg substitute
Directions See How It's Made
- In large mixed bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups flour, yeast, sugar, cardamom, salt, cinnamon, cloves and ginger; mix well. Heat water, milk and butter to 120F to 130F, butter does not need to melt. Add to flour mixture; add eggbeaters. Blend at low speed until moistened; beat 3 minutes at medium speed. By hand, graduall stir in enough remaining flour to make a stiff batter.
- Spoon batter into a well greased 12 cup Bundt pan. Cover; let rise in warm place until light and doubled, about 1 1/2 hours. Bake in pre-heated 375F oven for 30 to 35 minutes until golden brown. Remomve from pan; cool for about 5 to 10 before serving.