Recipe by Budgiegirl
Textured vegetable protein (TVP) is a soy based meat substitute. It is 1 point per 1/4 cup dry for Weight Watchers. I would consider TVP to be a core food.
Top Review by msgwen03
This was better than I thought it would be. Mine was a little bland because I held back on the soy sauce so next time a little more salt and I want to try red bell pepper instead of the green that I used.
- 1 cup textured vegetable protein, granules
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour boiling water into dry TVP granules and stir. Let sit until water is absorbed, about ten minutes.
- Saute onion and garlic in olive oil until onions turn soft, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add bell pepper and sauté 2 more minute.
- Add TVP, and stir.
- Add tamari and spices, and continue simmering until all ingredients are well-blended.
- Some people like extra tamari or extra spices…adjust according to your taste. Serve in hard taco shells or soft tortillas, with shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, salsa, refried beans, etc.