Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Textured vegetable protein (TVP) is a soy based meat substitute. It is 1 point per 1/4 cup dry for Weight Watchers. I would consider TVP to be a core food.
- 1 cup textured vegetable protein, granules
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Pour boiling water into dry TVP granules and stir. Let sit until water is absorbed, about ten minutes.
- Saute onion and garlic in olive oil until onions turn soft, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add bell pepper and sauté 2 more minute.
- Add TVP, and stir.
- Add tamari and spices, and continue simmering until all ingredients are well-blended.
- Some people like extra tamari or extra spices…adjust according to your taste. Serve in hard taco shells or soft tortillas, with shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, salsa, refried beans, etc.
This was better than I thought it would be. Mine was a little bland because I held back on the soy sauce so next time a little more salt and I want to try red bell pepper instead of the green that I used.
This was simple to make and healthy too! The only change I made was to use Braggs Liquid Aminos instead of tamari. This was a yummy quick dinner that I'll probably make again.
This was very easy to make and quite delicious! The only change I made was using 1/2 t of chili powder instead of the full t it called for. This was only b/c I know we don't like things too spicy around here. Thanks for a great recipe! I will definitely do this again!