Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
TVP stands for Textured Vegetable Protein, a meat substitute made from vegetable protein (primarily soybean). Posted recipe per request
- 6 large flour tortillas
- 1 cup textured vegetable protein, granules
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 16 ounces canned vegetarian refried beans
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1⁄2 tablespoon oregano
- 1 cup lettuce, shredded
- 2 fresh tomatoes, chopped
- On large cookie sheet, place 6 oven-proof soup bowls or bowl-shaped aluminum foil.
- Wrap tortillas in damp paper towels and microwave on high 1 minutes or set in warm oven 3-5 minutes.
- Press center of tortillas into the bowls, crimping edges as needed to fit.
- Brush edges with oil if desired.
- Place tray in oven and bake until edges begin to brown lightly, 12-15 minutes.
- Cool shells.
- If not using them immediately, tightly wrap them in a plastic bag.
- Mix together TVP and 7/8 Cups boiling water and let stand 5 minutes.
- Saute onion in skillet.
- Stir in tomato sauce, beans, chili powder, cumin, oregano, and TVP.
- Mix well.
- Cover tightly and microwave on high 5 minutes, stirring once (or simmer on top of stove 15-20 minutes).
- Place a tortilla shell on each plate.
- Place shredded lettuce in each shell and spoon TVP mixture over lettuce.
- Top with tomato.
This is our first time trying TVP. It was very good. I didn't use as much spice, but next time I will. It was not to hot. Also used black soybean. Very easy to make. Will make this again.