Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a combination (with additions of my own preference) of several recipes. I've been trying to eat healthier and so have been cutting back on beef and pork. This is a guideline so feel free to add to or leave out any ingredient you don't like. It's pretty hard to mess up chili! This is a fairly thick chili, feel free to add more broth, water or tomato juice to get the consistency you like. Also, depending on the taco seasoning you use, extra salt may be unnecessary.
- 1 cup textured vegetable protein
- 7⁄8 cup nonfat beef broth
- 1 medium onion (rough chopped)
- 1⁄2 large green pepper (rough chopped)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water (divided) or 1 1⁄2 cups nonfat beef broth (divided)
- 1 (15 -16 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (15 ounce) can chili beans (DO NOT DRAIN, your choice mild, med. or hot)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt (may use table salt)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons Frank's red hot sauce (optional)
- salt & pepper (as needed)
- cheddar cheese (shredded) (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- avocado (diced) (optional)
- taco chips (crushed) (optional)
- Heat to boil the 7/8 cup of beef broth. Turn off heat, add TVP stirring until all moistened, cover pan with lid and set aside. (OR, reconstitute according to YOUR package directions.).
- In a large skillet add 1/4 cup of water or beef broth, the chopped onions and peppers and steam fry about 3 minutes over medium heat. Adding more water or broth if skillet gets dry.
- Mix in TVP, remaining water or broth, tomatoes, chili beans, tomato sauce and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for aprox. 30 minutes.
- Served topped with any or all optional ingredients.
- Best made a day ahead of time, refrigerated, then re-heated.