Recipe by radasaurus
This recipe is a staple in my household, primarily for breakfast burritos with either tofu or eggs. We've also used it in tacos, burgers, biscuits and gravy, spaghetti sauce, pizza, and more. Omnivorous boyfriend approved. This recipe originated from VegWeb; however, they appear to have a frequent malware problem that they still seem to be unable to control after several years now, so I'm reproducing it here so I don't have to risk viruses/spyware when I go to the website.
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed (I sub cumin)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- salt, to taste
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup textured vegetable protein or 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, mix together the first 9 ingredients (through salt). Pour the boiling water over the mixture.
- Pour in the textured soy protein, mix with a fork, and let stand for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Taste to see if more seasonings need to be added.
- Put oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add mixture, and fry until well browned. (you may need to add extra oil if the pan becomes too dry.