Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
One more way to use Textured Vegetable Protein.
- 1 cup textured vegetable protein
- 1 cup Bulgar wheat
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 (1/16 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
- herbs or spices, of your choice
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Place TVP, bulgur, oatmeal and soup mix in a large bowl.
- Add boiling water. Stir well. Set aside.
- Chop pepper and garlic.
- Add all ingredients except ketchup to the mixture. Let sit a few minutes.
- Spray a large pan with PAM.
- Fold mixture into the pan and around edges.
- Brush with ketchup.
- Bake 1 hour and 15 minutes.
I added a extra cup of water, 3eggs lightly beaten, and I covered it with foil. My family loved it and I will be making it again
Ingredients are off for sure. Made it once as per recipe but adding a little extra water. Still turned out very dry and hard. Also added eggs to hold it together. I am going to give it another shot but this time am going to cook the bulgar wheat first. I think that will fix most of the problem I had. This recipe does have the potential for 5 stars I think, if I can only tweak it until it comes out right.
I think the amounts in this recipe are off. For the amount of TVP and bulgur in this recipe I think you need a lot more liquid than 3/4 c. Maybe the ketchup should be mixed in and not just brushed on top? You also need something to hold it together. In any case, this came out really really dry and crumbly. Threw it out.