I got this recipe from Cooks.com. Personally I think I'd like these meatballs a tad spicier. I used a nut oil instead of canola to fry the onion and garlic. I then used olive oil to fry the meatballs.
- 8 ounces by weight of dry textured vegetable protein
- 1 3⁄4 cups boiling water
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cilantro
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon tamari soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon oil (for frying the onion and garlic)
- 1⁄4 cup oil (to fry the meatballs)
- Boil your water and add it to the TVP and let it rehydrate for at least 10 minutes.
- Saute the onion and garlic in the 1 tbsp oil. Add spices and mix well.
- Add to the TVP mixture. Add in the flour.
- Mold into 1 inch size meatballs. Press them together hard to keep them from crumbling.
- Fry in the 1/4 oil turning meatballs around to cook all sides until crispy and golden brown.
- Yields about 3 dozen.
- Bon Appetit!