Recipe by **Luv2Cook**
I just started to be vegan and I was having a hard time making recipes that actually taste good. I came up with this concoction based on recipes I used to make with ground meat. This is great over brown rice or any other grain! Make the grains while or before cooking this sauce. This recipe only makes for about one or two people, so you can double or triple it. I hope you enjoy the recipe!
- 1⁄2 cup textured vegetable protein (TVP)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon canola oil or 1 teaspoon olive oil or 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped (or more if you love garlic!)
- 1⁄8 cup red bell pepper, chopped (or any other pepper you would like)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon low-sodium adobo seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sazon goya
- 1⁄4 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup rice, cooked
Directions See How It's Made
- Note: adobo seasoning, and sazon are seasonings found in the spanish section of your local grocery store. you could use oth.
- Boil the vegetable broth in a small pot over medium heat. Place the TVP in a medium sized bowl with the boiled vegetable broth to reconstitute the TVP. Mix to moisten all the TVP and leave the TVP for about 10 to 15 minutes to absorb the vegetable broth and expand a bit.
- While the TVP soaks, chop the onions, pepper, and garlic.
- Drain the TVP and reserve the leftover liquid in a bowl for later. Heat a medium sized frying pan with the oil on medium heat. Add the TVP and saute until it is a bit browned and crispy.
- Add the onions and garlic and saute for five minutes. (If the pan gets too dry, add more oil) Then add the pepper and saute for five more minutes.
- Add the adobo, garlic powder, onion powder, and the sazon and mix. Then add the reserved liquid from the TVP, the tomato sauce, and the water. Let cook until most of the liquid is absorbed. Taste to adjust seasonings and serve over your favorite grains and with vegetables.