Recipe by keatonhoskins
Use dried kidney beans or black beans to make this homemade vegetarian chili with TVP. The generous amount of TVP (textured vegetable protein) in this recipe gives this veggie chili a chewy and "meaty" texture. If you like this meaty vegetarian chili with TVP, you might also want to see these other homemade vegetarian chili recipes.
- 2 cups kidney beans (or black beans)
- 8 cups water
- 1 cup broth (vegetable, beef, or chicken)
- 1 cup uncooked textured vegetable protein (textured vegetable protein)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 chili pepper, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large soup or stock pot, soak beans in water for at least 6 hours or overnight. Retain soaking water.
- Bring beans and water to a slow simmer. Allow to cook for at least one hour.
- In a small bowl, combine TVP (textured vegetable protein) with hot vegetable broth and allow to sit for five to ten minutes.
- In a separate large soup or stock pan, sauté onions, garlic and chili pepper in olive oil for three to five minutes, until onions are soft. Reduce heat and add TVP, cayenne, coriander and cumin and stir well to combine.
- Add cooked beans, tomatoes and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a slow simmer and stir well to combine. Allow to cook for at least 45 minutes more.