Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Textured vegetable protein can be flavored to taste like beef or chicken. This recipe would be 4 points for the entire recipe for Weight Watchers. I would consider this recipe core.
- 1 cup textured vegetable protein, granules
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄8 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil (or as needed)
- In a saucepan, bring water, bouillon, sugar and seasonings to a boil.
- Add TVP and turn heat off.
- Let stand for 15 - 20 minutes. Drain any excess liquid.
- Saute soaked, drained TVP in a little oil until lightly browned.
- The TVP "Chicken" is now ready to be used in any dish in place of cooked chicken.
- Refrigerate unused portions. TVP chicken can be frozen.
- Suggestions: Pot pies, gravies, soups, stews, pita bread sandwiches, a la kings, patties (mix with breadcrumbs), stir-fries, etc.