Recipe by cutlers819
A delicious, lightly seasoned breakfast sausage made from TVP (textured vegetable protein). Found on a low-carber website when searching for TVP sausage recipes, made small modifications. In our supermarkets, TVP is located with 'specialty flours' like rye and rice.
Top Review by Terri Newell
I made this as written, although I left out the sugar. The mixture was quite wet, and it was difficult to flip the patties in the skillet. Maybe leaving the mixture in the fridge overnight would help it stiffen up. Smelled good, although not as good as real sausage! The texture was softer than real meat, too.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup dry textured vegetable protein (TVP)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground savory
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 medium eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Add salt and spices to water, bring to boil. Add TVP. Remove from heat, stir well, and allow to cool enough to mix with eggs. Beat egg with sugar*, add TVP mixture. Form patties - extra may be frozen. Fry up (about 3 minutes per side, till nicely browned) and enjoy!
- * I'm not sure what the sugar's for - the original recipe called for more sweetener than this and it came out quite sweet. I left in a little to help the sausage brown up, but I'm sure the recipe would be fine without it!