Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is another amazing stick-to-your-ribs kind of recipe.
- 1 cup water
- 5 tablespoons textured vegetable protein (unflavored Texturized Vegetable Protein granules)
- 5 tablespoons rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons fructose
- 1⁄2 teaspoon molasses
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons pecans
- Add all ingredients and bring to a boil over a low heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and cover.
- Depending on your preferences, you can reduce the heat to lower to a simmer for 5-10 more minutes or until the mush is very dense. You can cover and let sit for 5-10 minutes for a less thick, more chewy mush.
- The recipe works well in a rice cooker, or overnight on low in a crock pot for hot cereal when you first wake up.
- You may also put this into a pot overnight without cooking it, then heat it up on the stove or in the microwave.
This was a nice change from oatmeal. I mixed it up the night before and put it in the fridge. Microwaved it on high for 2 1/2 minutes the next morning. Very nice. I don't have fructose but it worked nicely with 1 Tbls brown sugar. I've made this a few times now and have mixed it up by adding unsweetened coconut, cocoa powder, dried fruit, or milk. Versatile and yummy.
Made this but left out the sugar and put in some cocoa powder...YUMM! I'm making it again tonight.
I thought this was a wonderfully healthy breakfast and filling. I assembled this the night before to soak the tvp and oats and cooked for about 3 minutes in the microwave the next morning. I love the ease of this. I followed the ingredient list this time but for the future I would use splenda brown sugar for the fructose. I also liked that the molasses were not overpowering but helped to give the dish a nice color. I had no pecans so I used slivered alomonds ( only 3-4 almonds for my serving). While 3 tablespoons of pecans would be good, that added a lot of extra fat calories to this dish. (Not good if you're counting calories!) I do not think this recipe would make 5 servings for the average person. I got 2 servings out of this recipe. I will make this again because it's a wonderful way to get low calorie high protein in my diet. I had only used tvp as a replacement for hamburger in the past, it's nice to find another tasty way to use it. Thanks so much for posting this great recipe Budgiegirl.