Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This filling sandwich has a surprise ingredient, cashews!
- 1 cup rough granulated textured vegetable protein
- 1⁄3 cup diced bell pepper
- 1⁄3 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup barbecue sauce, of choice (I like Enrico's)
- 1⁄3 cup roasted and salted cashew pieces
- yellow mustard
- hot sauce
- salt and pepper, as desired
- 6 split hamburger buns
- Put oil and vegetables into 2 quart saucepan.
- Saute until veggies begin to wilt and add the TVP, and enough water to prevent sticking.
- Stir and add water until TVP begins to swell, and add the BBQ sauce.
- Stir often and add more water as needed.
- Taste and add mustard, hot sauce, and pepper as you choose.
- When satisfied with basic flavor, add the cashews.
- Do not salt until you taste again.
- Serve on buns.
this was great - I thought that the cashews threw the texture off a bit, but I liked the TASTE so much that I added about two tablespoons of cashew butter instead, gave it a great consistancy (but not TOO creamy) YUM! my vegan bf loved it.
Yeah for a good TVP recipe! I have a similar recipe for making vegan "sloppy joes" but I love the BBQ sauce in this recipe and the cashews really add a nice toothsomeness to each bite. It's a keeper!
This was great! It is a perfect recipe for someone who doesn't care too much for meat, is very active and tends to have lower iron levels. Unfortunately, I have to go gluten-free, and I refuse to pay $6 for a loaf of bread or package of rolls that taste horrible, so I had to try it sans bread. By itself...it was wonderful! Thanks for sharing!