Recipe by Diana #2
Every week when the new tv guide would come out, (this would be back when it was only 25 cents) the first thing I'd do is turn to the back of the magazine to check what the recipe of the week was. It was usually recommended by a celebrity. Don't let the amount of milk scare you off. It really works perfectly....otherwise I wouldn't still be making it. NOTE: This works well frozen and reheated.
Top Review by Karen Elizabeth
This is very good, although as mentioned by a previous reviewer, it is quite a loose mixture. I think, however, this would be a perfect make-ahead dish ... I had made double the amount, as the children had friends over, but at the last minute, I ended up with two people less than expected! So although everyone ate well, I had leftovers, and I can see today that the texture is much firmer. The taste is delicious though, and it is a nice creamy texture. I was perfectly happy with the Italian herbs, I used plain sweetcorn, and because DH had done some prep without looking at the recipe, I added the grated carrot he had so kindly prepared (with the onion), and just before covering the mixture with potato, I added a cup of frozen peas, because I like a lot of veg. Very nice recipe, Diana, thank you for sharing!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 (341 ml) can sweet corn, the Mexican variety with peppers is wonderful
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon mixed Italian herbs
- 2 beef bouillon cubes, I use 2 tbsp liquid concentrate
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 cups potatoes, mashed
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Brown ground beef in saucepan.
- Add onion and cook until tender. Drain oil.
- Add corn, milk and herbs. Bring to a boil.
- Dissolve bouillon (cubes or liquid) in hot water and add to mixture.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Place in a large (9 x 13 type)casserole dish.
- Mix half the cheese with the potatoes and spread over the meat and vegetable mixture.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and the parsley.
- Bake for 30 minutes.