1/1 Photo of Tv Guide Red Velvet Cake
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 20 mins
Prepared for a 1994 article by Glenn Esterly that featured Chef Willard Scott, and has been a family favourite ever since. The filling/frosting is not sweet, which is a nice change from the standard cream cheese frosting.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 3 tablespoons hot coffee
- 4 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F Grease two 9" round pans.
- 2In a large bowl, cream sugar with shortening.
- 3Add eggs and vanilla, beat well.
- 4Make a paste of the food colouring, coffee and cocoa, add to above mixture.
- 5Mix in half the flour and salt, then stir in buttermilk.
- 6Beat in the remaining flour.
- 7Mix vinegar and baking soda to combine well (it will foam, if it doesn't, you need new baking soda!). Add to the batter and blend well.
- 8Bake 30 minutes. Cool completely and refrigerate 2 hours before filling and frosting.
- 9Beat cream cheese, shortening, vanilla and salt together until well blended.
- 10Gradually sift and beat in the icing sugar until it's all incorporated.
- 11Place one cake round on a serving plate and cover with a thick layer of freshly made (so it's soft) frosting.
- 12Place the second cake round on top and coat with a thin layer of frosting (i.e. the "crumb coat"). Chill until firm.
- 13Finish frosting the cake and decorate as desired.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tv Guide Red Velvet Cake
Serving Size: 1 (119 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 14
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 402.1
- Calories from Fat 184
- Total Fat 20.4 g
- Saturated Fat 7.7 g
- Cholesterol 54.0 mg
- Sodium 405.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 32.8 g
- Protein 5.2 g