Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Inspired by RSC#11 ingredients. While I had to use white flour as a contest ingredient- I tried to compensate with other healthy ingredients. I hope you enjoy these soft fruity muffins. They seem like something you would buy at a bakery! If you like a lot of streusel double it. The glaze is optional but adds a nice fruity sweet touch. You could also try this as a loaf baked at 350F.
- 1⁄3 cup oat bran (ground rolled oats)
- 1 cup all-purpose white flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup Splenda granular or 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup ripe banana, mashed
- 1⁄2 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 1⁄2 cup strawberry, crushed
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil (I used Enova) or 1⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce (I used Enova)
Streusel Topping(can double)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons all-purpose white flour
- 2 tablespoons Splenda brown sugar blend or 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons pecans, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup raspberry preserves
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 -3 tablespoons blood orange juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange zest
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Grease 12 muffin tins or line with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together oat bran, white flour, whole-wheat flour, salt, baking soda, ground cinnamon, Splenda and sugar.
- In a medium bowl, stir together bananas, pineapple, strawberries, eggs, vanilla, applesauce and oil.
- Stir fruit mixture into flour mixture.
- Streusel: In a small bowl, stir together flour, brown sugar and cinnamon. Cut butter into flour mixture. Stir in pecans.
- Put a mounded tablespoon of batter into each muffin tin.
- Put 1 teaspoon of raspberry preserves over the center of the batter in each muffin tin.
- Use remaining batter to nearly fill muffin tins.
- Sprinkle streusel over the top of batter.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until toothpick tests clean.
- Let sit for 5 minutes and turn out of tins.
- Optional Glaze: Stir together powdered sugar, blood orange juice and zest. Once muffins are room temperature, drizzle glaze over them.
- *Good with whipped cream too!
Wow I wish I found these eariler! I doubled the recipe and made them in mini muffin tins. Also I used a bit more oat bran and whole wheat flour and a bit less of the white flour. Also I used part egg beaters and whole eggs. I LOVED the little rasberry surprise in each muffin. And the streusel is very tasty too!
5 stars. Delicious muffins! Cute name for these fruity creations. They sure are large muffins, but bake up beautifully uniform. The amount of topping was plenty for me without doubling it. I chose not to add the optional glaze as I think it would have been a bit overkill and definitely make them too sweet. Withough the glaze these beautiful muffins have so many fruity flavours that blend so well together. Great recipe. Reviewed for RSC #11.