Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Low carb South beach diet freindly
- 1 cup Splenda sugar substitute, plus
- 3 tablespoons Splenda sugar substitute
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 cups low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 4 cups fresh fruit (whole blueberries, cherries, raspberries and or or grapes -- peaches, strawberries, apples,carambola)
- In medium saucepan, stir together 3 tablespoons of the splenda, cornstarch, and orange peel.
- Stir in egg yolks and yogurt until well blended.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and thickens.
- Cover and chill thoroughly.
- In large mixing bowl at high speed, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy.
- Add remaining 1 cup splenda, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating constantly until sugar is dissolved and whites are glossy and stand in stiff peaks.
- (Rub just a bit of meringue between thumb and forefinger to feel if splenda has dissolved).
- With spoon or pastry bag, spread mixture over bottom of lightly greased or lined (foil or waxed, brown or parchment paper) 12 inch pizza pan, forming a rim around sides.
- Bake in preheated 225°F oven until firm and cake tester or wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Turn off oven.
- Let stand in oven with door closed until cool, dry and crisp, at least 1 additional hour.
- To serve, spread chilled custard evenly over baked meringue shell.
- Arrange fruits in a decorative pattern over custard.
- Cut into wedges and serve immediately.