Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup nuts (pecans or walnuts)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup crushed pineapple, drained (8 ounce can)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg whites (beat to soft peaks)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 16 maraschino cherries (quartered)
- 1⁄4 cup cherry juice
- Cream shortening and sugar.
- Mix nuts and fruits with 2 tablespoons of flour taken from bulk.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt well. Add to creamed mixture alternately with liquid.
- Fold in egg whites.
- Bake in 2 round layer cake pans at 350° till cake springs back when touched in middle, about 35 minutes.
We liked the flavor of this cake. I frosted it with your frosting #21865. Thanks Darlene Summers. Bullwinkle.