Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Adapted from Bulgarian Rhapsody By Linda Joyce Forristal. Edited to add.... After a suggestion from a reviewer, I have added 1 tbs of sugar and 1/2 tsp baking soda to the ingredients. I tried it with these additional ingredients and while still moist, it is not overly moist. Thanks so much for the feedback =0)
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 medium eggs
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb feta cheese (crumbled)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- In medium bowl, mix together yogurt, eggs, oil, feta, salt, and sugar.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Slowly add the yogurt mixture and stir well.
- Pour into a well-greased 9x9 inch baking dish.
- Lightly sprinkle with paprika and caraway seeds.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Serve warm with butter.
This was a different kind of bread for us. We baked longer than indicated and it was still a bit doughy. Maybe we will like better toasted. This was prepared for ZWT4 Eastern European Holiday challenge.
This was very good bread. My DH gave it 5 stars, I would give it 4 for flavor but 5 for ease of preparation. It was so quick and easy to prepare that it could be made with any week night meal. I think it would be good with a little parmesan mixed in or sprinkled on top--I don't know how authentic it would be, but it would taste great. Thanks for posting Nick's mom. Made and reviewed for ZWT4.
Nice bread, has kind of cakey texture, I love the fact that there was no kneading, just mix it together and cook it. The flavour was quite mild so I would probably add some garlic as one reviewer suggested if I was to make it again. Made for ZWT 4.