Prep 8 mins
Cook 15 mins
My son was looking at the Star Wars trailers for Revenge of the Sith tonight. So I thought I'd do a search for Star Wars Recipes and this is what I found on The Herald News site. Purple potatoes are the most fun to cook with as they turn a very light purple when cooked.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb purple potatoes or 1 lb russet potato, peeled
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper
- Fill a large saucepan two-thirds full with water.
- Add the salt.
- Cut the potato in half length-wise.
- Holding a potato half cut-side down, slice it lengthwise into one-inch slices.
- Bow hold the slices and cut across them in the opposite direction to make one-inch pieces.
- Add the potato to the pan.
- Repeat with the remaining potatoes.
- Bring the water to a boil and boil the potatoes, uncovered, until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain potatoes into the colander.
- Return the potatoes to the pan.
- Mash with a potato masher.
- Add the milk and butter.
- Continue to mash until the butter and milk are mixed.
- Potatoes can be as smooth or as lumpy as you like.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.