Recipe by stormylee
A wonderful pie bursting with the sunny flavours of sun-dried and fresh tomatoes, basil and mozzarella!
Top Review by bestcook
Prepared for my daughter and her boyfriend and they were very pleased with the results. Fast and easy and very flavorful. Decided to substitute a substantial amount of very fresh parsley for the basil and it worked out well. Would definitely make again.
- 1 pie shell, pre-baked
- 100 g mozzarella cheese
- 3 -4 tomatoes
- 4 sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon semolina or 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 3 eggs
- 250 ml half-and-half cream
- 1 clove garlic
- 50 -100 ml chopped fresh basil
- salt (to taste, I use 1 teaspoon)
- black pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 200 C.
- Slice mozzarella and tomatoes.
- Chop sun-dried tomatoes.
- Spread mustard on the bottom of the pie shell and sprinkle the flour on top.
- Layer the fresh tomatoes on the shell and sprinkle the sun-dried tomatoes and pine nuts on top of the tomato slices.
- Arrange mozzarella slices on top of everything.
- Peel and finely chop the garlic clove.
- Whisk together eggs and half-and-half.
- Add the chopped garlic, chopped basil and seasonings to the egg mixture and whisk to combine.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pie shell.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, about 40 minutes.
- For a more Greek touch, try using feta cheese instead of mozzarella and add a few sliced olives to the pie (and remember you'll need less salt in a feta pie:-).