Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Italian country food at its best--a tasty filling of roasted red pepper, fontina cheese, and sage. From BHG.
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 (4 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 roasted red peppers, halves drained or 1⁄2 cup roasted red pepper, halves from a jars, drained
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine or 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 6 fresh sage leaves or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sage, crushed
- 2 ounces Fontina cheese, crumbled or sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Place each chicken piece, boned side up, between 2 pieces of clear plastic wrap. Working from the center to the edges, pound lightly with the flat side of a meat mallet to 1/4-inch thickness. Remove plastic wrap. Sprinkle chicken with black pepper. Layer cheese, roasted red sweet pepper halves, and sage in the center of each breast. Fold in edges; roll up into a spiral, pressing the edges to seal. Roll in flour.
- In an 8-inch skillet heat the oil over medium heat. Cook chicken in hot oil about 5 minutes, turning to brown all sides. Remove from skillet.
- In the same skillet bring wine or broth to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 2 minutes or until 1/4 cup liquid remains. Return chicken to skillet. Cover and simmer for 8 to 9 minutes or until chicken is tender and no longer pink. To serve, spoon juices over chicken.
Lots of flavor, a great weeknight meal.
So good and I had all the ingredients. Beautiful!!!I was bery careful to put small sage leaves;it can be powerful but it turned out great;thanks for sharing.