Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
My version of Zuppa Tuscana from Olive Garden - this really satisfies my cravings!
Make and share this Tuscany Soup Like Olive Garden recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 cups spicy sausage links (I used 6 breakfast sausage links because it was what I had and because my family doesn't like Italia)
- 6 slices bacon
- 3⁄4 cup onion, diced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced garlic
- chicken broth (I used 3 small cans, a different recipe used bouillon cubes or crystals and water to make equivalent)
- 2 medium potatoes, sliced up 1/4 inch and then halve the slices (use more next time for a heartier soup)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon fennel seed (or to taste, I found this to be the secret to the distinct flavoring of the soup)
- 2 cups kale leaves, sliced thinly (spinach can be substituted, I only used 2 large pinches of crinkly kale leaves my family isn't big o)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream (try fat free half and half)
- parmesan cheese (to garnish)
- Quarter potatoes with peelings on and then slice quarters into ¼ inch thick pieces.
- Place potatoes in large pot and add 3 cans chicken broth and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer.
- Meanwhile, cook sausage links until done. Cool, then cut in slices, then halve the slices.
- Cut bacon in small squares and cook over medium heat until done but not crisp.
- Cook onions in bacon drippings in a large saucepan over medium heat until the onions are almost clear.
- Add garlic to onions and cook one minute.
- Add onions, meats, and fennel seeds to potatoes and broth. Simmer until potatoes are soft.
- Add kale and cream. Simmer to soften greens (approx. 4 minutes) and serve. Garnish with parmesan cheese (optional).