3 hrs 30 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
From the book The Italian Country Table by Lynne Rossetto Kasper. This is a wonderful recipe for any time of year. Serve it as part of a buffet, a light lunch or dinner. It also travles well for a picnic. Leftovers can be pureed or mashed with some more olive oil to top bruschetta or dip with veggies. The book (and I) suggest a light Chianti to go with this. The recipe calls for Cacciatora salami, which is wonderful if you can get it, its my favorite, but any small, hard salami will do. The actual recipe calls for 1/2 or 2.5 oz salami. I've never measured, I use what I like. You can also use a can of olive oil packed tuna, drained and you have another classic salad. For the beans the book says "They're called corona, bianco di Spagna or bianco grande in Italian and soisson in French...An american organic pinto bean makes and excellent replacement." I have used great northern as well. A good vidalia onion is a great sub for the red and I have also used green... Cooking times are just a guess. Have fun and enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Rince beans and place in a bowl with very hot tap water. Soak for 1 hour.
- 2Drain and place in a 4 quart saucepan. Add fresh water to cover by 2 inches, the crushed garlic, and the sage. Cook until the beans are tender but not falling apart. 45 min to an hour. (I've had good luck doing beans in a crock pot).
- 3Drain and toss the beans with the vinegar and the minced garlic. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Let cool but do not refrigerate.
- 4Fold in onion and salami. Do not refrigerate unless you are holding them for more than 6 hours.
- 5Just before serving sprinkle with a few spoonfulls of good, robust, oil. Taste to get your seasoning right and serve at room temeperature.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tuscan White Beans W/ Red Onion & Salami
Serving Size: 1 (67 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 105.1
- Calories from Fat 5
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 4.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 6.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white wine vinegar