Recipe by Vegan Freak
Top Review by cookn4mytwins
I always make a pot of vegetarian soup for lunch during the weekend once fall gets here and I chose this one today. It turned out great. I doesn't make a large pot of soup, so if you're looking for leftovers you might want to double everything.
- 1⁄2 onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, sliced into very thin coins
- 1 medium russet potato, cut into a 1/4 & # 8243, dice
- 2 cups water
- 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 -3 large kale leaves, deveined and roughly chopped
- 2 -3 teaspoons lemon juice
- fresh herb (to garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute the onions over medium-low heat in a medium sized, heavy pot that has a lid.
- Slice the carrots into 1/8″ coins and add to pot.
- Cut potato into 1/4″ dice and add to pot, stirring occasionally. Add water and loosen any stuff that has stuck to the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon. Add salt, oregano, tomato paste and stir. Cover and turn head down to a low boil.
- Slice and kale, drain and rinse the beans. Add beans to pot and stir. The stew should be quite thick. Add kale and lemon juice. Taste and season if necessary. Simmer for a few minutes until kale is tender.
- Carrots should be tender, and the potato should be soft but still hold its shape. Serve and garnish with fresh herbs, shown here with thyme.